Well, guess what I read recently…? Carbs are back. Apparently high-carb foods thank to ‘resistant starch’ are actually good and can even help you loose wait.
To celebrate the news everyone should have carbs. I’m going to have pasta. I love pasta. I have pasta almost every day. Luckily Boyfriend loves pasta too, otherwise we would have a tricky situation. The household could turn into scenes from the film ‘The War of the Roses’…
It’s not that I ever cared about carbs anyway. I eat what I like and have never been on a diet. As my ex flatmate told me – I’m not fat but I’m not exactly skinny either. Well, I told him he is not stupid but not exactly bright either though…My bitchiness burns off most of my calories intake.
Creamy mushroom pasta (quick recipe, it takes only 20 minutes)
400 g of mushrooms (button or any you fancy)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of cream cheese or pack of goat cheese
150 ml of cream (less if you are calorie conscious, you need some to melt cheese, but it’s up to you if you want it extra creamy. I think extra creamy is the best. You can replace it with soya cream, less calories, perfect for vegans)
salt and freshly ground pepper
chopped parsley or chives
1. Boil water for pasta with a pinch of salt.
2. You can use any pasta you want but in my opinion gniocchetti tastes the best.
3. Chop or slice mushrooms.
4. Warm olive oil in a pot, add mushrooms. Cover and fry for a few minutes.
5. If the water for pasta is boiling, add your gnocchetti, stir, cover and leave for 4 minutes.
6. When your mushrooms start to get soft and the liquid evaporates a bit, add cream (and again, it can be double or single, I use anything I can find in the fridge) and then cream cheese or goats cheese, or both. Sometimes I add a splash of white wine for added flavour or if I’m left with an open bottle and have to get rid of it before it goes bad.
7. Lower the temperature and stir until cheese starts to melt.
8. Grate some parmesan and add to your cheesy sauce.
9. Pre-warm plates.
10. Drain your pasta ( you can leave some starchy water, pasta doesn’t have to be drained completely)
11. Add pasta to your sauce, add some salt and fresh pepper, mix carefully.
12. Serve with chopped parsley, chives or even basil. This one is perfect with white wine, yumm!